SC Shah et al. Gastroenterol 2021; 160: 1831-1841. Full text: AGA Clinical Practice Update on the Management of Refractory Helicobacter pylori Infection: Expert Review
- Best Practice Advice 4: If bismuth quadruple therapy failed as a first-line treatment, shared decision making between providers and patients should guide selection between (a) levofloxacin- or rifabutin-based triple-therapy regimens with high-dose dual proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and amoxicillin, and (b) an alternative bismuth-containing quadruple therapy, as second-line options
- Best Practice Advice 5: When using metronidazole-containing regimens, providers should consider adequate dosing of metronidazole (1.5–2 g daily in divided doses) with concomitant bismuth therapy, because this may improve eradication success rates irrespective of observed in vitro metronidazole resistance.
- Best Practice Advice 6: In the absence of a history of anaphylaxis, penicillin allergy testing should be considered in a patient labeled as having this allergy in order to delist penicillin as an allergy and potentially enable its use. Amoxicillin should be used at a daily dose of at least 2 g divided 3 times per day or 4 times per day to avoid low trough levels.
- Best Practice Advice 8:Longer treatment durations provide higher eradication success rates compared with shorter durations (eg, 14 days vs 7 days). Whenever appropriate, longer treatment durations should be selected for treating refractory H pylori infection.
- Best Practice Advice 10: After 2 failed therapies with confirmed patient adherence, H pylori susceptibility testing should be considered to guide the selection of subsequent regimens.
- Table 1 in report details specific regimens
Related blog posts:
- Lots of Room to Improve with H pylori Treatment
- Rifabutin-based Triple Therapy for H pylori | gutsandgrowth
- ACG Guideline for Helicobacter Pylori | gutsandgrowth
- It is Getting Harder to Treat H pylori -Here’s Why
- Quadruple Therapy for H pylori favored in Toronto Guidelines
- Understanding Resistance to Helicobacter pylori | gutsandgrowth
- Salvage Therapy and Standard Therapy for H pylori | gutsandgrowth
- High Rates of Helicobacter Pylori Resistance | gutsandgrowth
- What is evidence-based medicine for H pylori? gutsandgrowth
- H pylori –useful advice gutsandgrowth
- Twyman’s Law | gutsandgrowth