As noted in a previous blog regarding NOTES (see link below), peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) has been investigated for treatment of achalasia. Now, a prospective study of 70 patients from 5 centers reports excellent results (Gastroeenterol 2013; 145: 309-11, editorial 272-73).
- 3 months after POEM, 97% of patients were in symptom remission.
- 12 months after POEM, 82% of patients were in symptom remission.
Potential benefits of POEM:
Early results suggest similar efficacy to surgery but with the recovery profile of an endoscopy Painless
For more widespread adoption, many questions need to addressed:
- the appropriate length & thickness of myotomy
- the optimal equipment
- the best ‘surgeons’ for this technique
- how do long-term outcomes compare to Heller myotomy or balloon dilatation
Related blog posts: