Cheap Technology for Button Battery Ingestions

Typical Button Battery

Typical Button Battery

An NPR report regarding “the results of .. experiments published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences show that a prototype shield is effective at keeping small, 11 millimeter batteries from damaging the esophagus after being swallowed.”  This would be worthy endeavor to pursue.  The larger buttons (20 millimeters in diameter) “are particularly dangerous. One out of 8 children [under 6 years old] who swallow this larger battery are going to have a serious debilitating complication.”  Here’s the link: Battery Shield

Here’s an excerpt regarding the shield:

Microscopic metal particles are embedded in the shield, which is a millimeter thick. When a battery is inserted into a device, the pressure from the device’s cover or a spring that holds the battery in place pushes the metal particles together. The shield then acts like a switch, conducting electricity.

When the battery is free, floating down a child’s esophagus, for instance, there’s not enough pressure to make the microparticles smush together. The shield then acts as an insulator…

The shield’s material is commercially available and currently used in touch-screen devices where a gentle press of a fingertip can complete a circuit.

Related blog posts:


"Great Power" for Damaging an Esophagus

“Great Power” for Damaging an Esophagus

1 thought on “Cheap Technology for Button Battery Ingestions

  1. Pingback: Foreign Bodies in Children -Expert Guidance | gutsandgrowth

Comments are closed.