This year’s Georgia AAP Nutrition Symposium featured lectures targeting the NICU graduates and children with allergies (tomorrow). My notes from these lectures could contain errors of omission or transcription.
Link to slides: The Care and Feeding of the Tertiary NICU October 10 2019
- Better growth velocity in NICU predicts better neurological outcome at 18-22 months
- 1st week of life calories linked to neurodevelopmental outcomes –>need for TPN within hours of birth
- Goal: approximate intrauterine growth
- Breast milk is best with improvement in neurodevelopmental outcomens, fewer GI complications and better immune health
- Two great resources (see slides below)
- Oregon Pediatric Nutrition Practice Group (82 page pdf): Nutrition Practice Care Guidelines for Preterm Infants in the Community
- Nutritional Care of Preterm Infants Scientific Basis and Practical Guidelines
When can NICU graduates take a standard formula? ‘When at normal weight at term or beyond for 2-3 months (tracking along a good percentile)’ –but keep in context (how big are parents); otherwise use preterm formula up to 52 weeks post-conceptional age. Studies have shown that formula-fed VLBW infants use of a transitional formula should continue until 3-6 months of age, possibly as long as 12 months of age.
Related blog posts:
- Neonatal Nutrition Lecture -What We Know Right Now
- Improving Outlook in Neonatal Nutrition (Part 1)
- Improving Outlook in Neonatal Nutrition (Part 2)
- What’s Happening on the Edge of Viability | gutsandgrowth
Disclaimer: These blog posts are for educational purposes only. Specific dosing of medications (along with potential adverse effects) and changes in diet should be confirmed by prescribing physician. This content is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a condition.
Pingback: ESPGHAN Position Paper: Nutrition for Critically Ill Neonates | gutsandgrowth