The data comes from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, a no-fault system begun in 1988 after federal law established it as the place where claims of harm from vaccines must be filed and evaluated. It currently covers claims related to 15 childhood vaccines and the seasonal flu shot.
Over the past three decades, when billions of doses of vaccines have been given to hundreds of millions of Americans, the program has compensated about 6,600 people for harm they claimed was caused by vaccines. About 70 percent of the awards have been settlements in cases in which program officials did not find sufficient evidence that vaccines were at fault…
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that vaccines prevented more than 21 million hospitalizations and 732,000 deaths among children over a 20-year period….
There were about two claims of injury for every one million doses of all vaccines distributed in the United States from 2006 through 2017, the period for which the injury compensation program has dosage data. It says more than 3.4 billion vaccine doses were distributed during that time.
The rarity of claims is especially notable because the program aims to make it easy to file a petition…
A growing proportion of recent claims, about half of all petitions since 2017, do not involve the content of vaccines themselves. Instead, they refer to shoulder injuries, usually in adults, that occurred because a health provider injected a vaccine too high on the shoulder, or into the joint space instead of into muscle tissue. That may cause an inflammatory response leading to shoulder pain and limited motion.
My take (from Paul Offit, MD): “The most dangerous aspect of giving your child vaccines is driving to the office to get them.”
Related blog posts:
- Vaccine Safety -Put into Perspective | gutsandgrowth
- Why Rich Kids Get Measles More Often in the U.S. …
- 1400 Different Immunization Schedules -What Could Go Wrong? | gutsandgrowth
- “Not Up For Debate: The Science Behind Vaccination” | gutsandgrowth
- Vaccine Safety Comic Book Version – Will It Help? | gutsandgrowth
- “Because It Doesn’t Just Happen to Other People” | gutsandgrowth
- Measles, Seizures and Sometimes Death due… | gutsandgrowth
- The Paradox of Vaccine Resistance | gutsandgrowth
- Why Doctors Don’t Want Unvaccinated Children in Their …