“An Insurance Company Doing the Right Thing” –not The Onion headline this time.
Recently (April 7. 2019) United Healthcare put out a policy statement explicitly stating:
“Fecal measurement of calprotectin is proven and medically necessary for establishing the diagnosis or for management of the following:
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis”
Thanks to Kim Conn for identifying this policy.
The policy statement provides an in-depth rationale for why calprotectin is medically-indicated along with supporting recommendations from multiple GI societies and National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). The policy statement includes a long list of references and would provide a strong argument in supporting calprotectin testing for all insurance providers.
Here’s the link: FECAL CALPROTECTIN TESTING United Healthcare.
Related blog posts:
- Keep the Stool Cool for More Reliable Calprotectin Testing
- Calprotectin in Triaging Potential Pediatric IBD Cases
- Biomarkers identify patients who benefit and how
- Fecal Calprotectin Monitoring for IBD Relapse
- Best Fecal Marker for Crohn’s Disease: Calprotectin | gutsandgrowth
- Value of Calprotectin | gutsandgrowth
- Prospective Monitoring of Calprotectin for Crohn’s Disease …