Recent data show why experts were concerned about SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 Virus) several months ago, due to its potential for exponential spread. Even now many question whether this infection is more significant than influenza.
Link: COVID-19 Daily Deaths
Between March 22 and April 4, 2020, a total of 215 pregnant women delivered infants at the New York–Presbyterian Allen Hospital and Columbia University Irving Medical Center [NYC] …
Most of the patients who were positive for SARS-CoV-2 at delivery were asymptomatic, and more than one of eight asymptomatic patients who were admitted to the labor and delivery unit were positive for SARS-CoV-2. Although this prevalence has limited generalizability to geographic regions with lower rates of infection, it underscores the risk of Covid-19 among asymptomatic obstetrical patients. Moreover, the true prevalence of infection may be underreported because of false negative results of tests to detect SARS-CoV-2
My take: This study indicates that there are a lot of undetected cases of SARS-CoV-2.
Stony Brook Univeristy’s Innovations to manage COVID-19 Crisis -NEJM: Staying Ahead of the Wave
- To minimize direct contact with patients and to conserve PPE, we rapidly deployed a telehealth solution that involves giving patients iPads to communicate with health care staff and consultants.
- Our engineers and chemists have been producing face shields, masks, a prototype ventilator, and hand sanitizer (https://news.stonybrook.edu/sb_medicine/stony-brook-ingenuity-takes-on-coronavirus/. opens in new tab).
- We have found a safe and effective way to sterilize used N95 respirators to further conserve PPE (www.battelle.org/newsroom/news-details/battelle-cleared-to-sterilize-n95-masks-at-max-capacity-operate-in-other-states-to-fight-coronavirus-ppe-shortage. opens in new tab).
Related blog posts:
- NY Times: How Will We Know When to Reopen the Country? & Timely Tweets
- COVID-19 Projections –IHME Data & IBD Infusion RecommendationsHow to Do a Colonoscopic Polypectomy and U.S. COVID-19 Tracker NPR: Map: Tracking The Spread Of The Coronavirus In The U.S This tracker details the pandemic in every state.
- How to Protect Healthcare Workers from COVID-19 -Lessons from Hong Kong and Singapore Atul Gawande has a very pertinent article in the New Yorker: Keeping the Coronavirus from Infecting Health-Care Workers
- What is the Current Standard of Care for PPE and Endoscopy Cases? Link to manuscript: COVID-19 in Endoscopy: Time to do more?
- Bill Gates: What We Need to Do Now for COVID-19, False-negative testing & Article Describing 3 Stages of Infection From NY Times: If You Have Coronavirus Symptoms, Assume You Have the Illness, Even if You Test Negative Bill Gates: Here’s how to make up for lost time on covid-19 & article describing 3 stages of infection: COVD-19 Illness in Native and Immunosuppressed States: A Clinical-Therapeutic Staging Proposal
- Allocating Scarce Resources During COVID-19 Pandemic Links CDC Link: Testing for COVID-19 Full Link NEJM 2020 (Ezekial J Emmanuel et al): Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of Covid-19. This post also displays some data on sensitivity/specificity of testing
- Iron Injectables Links Financial Times: Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read & from Johns Hopkins: COVID19 Caseload & Outcomes Worldwide
- COVID-19: Veneto vs. Lombardy and Georgia’s Part of this Pandemic Link: Harvard Business Review: Lessons from Italy’s Response to Coronavirus & Georgia DPH: COVID-19 Daily Status Report
- “Crushing It” Two More Pediatric Hepatitis C studies Full link from NY Times: How Long Will Coronavirus Live on Surfaces or in the Air Around You? and blog post shows how to properly place PPE
- Ethical Dilemmas and Digestive Symptoms –Common with COVID-19 Full link: NEJM: Facing Covid-19 in Italy — Ethics, Logistics, and Therapeutics on the Epidemic’s Front Line & digestive symptoms ACG: Full Link: ACG Media Statement
- More Advice on Coronavirus for Pediatric GIs: NASPGHAN and CCFA CCFA Guidance for Pediatric Caregivers and Patients —Updates on COVID-19 and IBD
- Autoimmune Hepatitis Outcomes, Grand Rounds on Splenomegaly, Hydroxychloroquine for SARS-CoV-2 & Zantac Warning
- Liver Shorts and COVID-19 Screenshots This post includes Fauci donuts, AJG reference on COVID-19 digestive symptoms, and technology to sterilized used PPE
- New: NEJM link to video demonstrating need for PPE during intubation -see picture at bottom of post. Fluorescent Spray During Intubation and at the bottom -there is an image showing how hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin could increase risk for life-threatening arrhythmias