Briefly noted: E Liu et al. JPGN 2020; 71: 252-6. Routine Screening for Celiac Disease in Children With Down Syndrome Improves Case Finding
- Retrospective chart single center review of children with Down syndrome (2011 to 2017).
- Prevalence of celiac disease in our population of children with Down syndrome ages 3 years or older was 9.8%.
- 90 with celiac disease diagnosis:
- 58 biopsy-confirmed
- 17 with diagnosis via serology threshold in accordance with ESPGHAN
- 9 diagnosis at outside center
- 6 with serology but not meeting definitive criteria
- 82% were identified through screening rather than clinical symptoms
My take: To identify celiac disease in children with Down syndrome, routine screening is needed.