JA Lavoie et al. JPEN 2022; https://doi.org/10.1002/jpen.2409. Nasogastric Bridles are Associated with Improved Tube-Related Outcomes in Children
Retrospective study: 582 children had NGTs secured traditionally and 173 received nasal bridles
Children with bridled NGTs were compared to their non-bridled NGT counterparts (all results below with p values <0.02):
- 16.67 times less likely to experience ≥1 dislodgement (OR=0.06)
- 2.5 times less likely to have one more ED visit (OR=0.4)
- 4.76 times less likely to require one more radiographic exposure (OR=0.21)
My take: After learning about bridles at N2U in 2015 (thanks Praveen Goday), they quickly became popular in our institution. They improve NG/NJ outcomes.
Related blog posts:
- Impact of NG Feeding Program for NICU Graduates
- N2U -Part 2: Poor Growth and Short Bowel Syndrome
- Nutrition Symposium Georgia AAP (Part 3) | gutsandgrowth
- Bridle Link –Youtube: AMT Bridle (~3 minutes with adult model). Bridle can be placed with NG or NJ in place.
- AMT bridle website -includes full length video, family brochure, and at length description
Disclaimer: This blog, gutsandgrowth, assumes no responsibility for any use or operation of any method, product, instruction, concept or idea contained in the material herein or for any injury or damage to persons or property (whether products liability, negligence or otherwise) resulting from such use or operation. These blog posts are for educational purposes only. Specific dosing of medications (along with potential adverse effects) should be confirmed by prescribing physician. Because of rapid advances in the medical sciences, the gutsandgrowth blog cautions that independent verification should be made of diagnosis and drug dosages. The reader is solely responsible for the conduct of any suggested test or procedure. This content is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a condition