From J Pediatr -full text: Risk Factors for Community-Associated Clostridium difficile Infection in Children (DJ Adams J Pediatr 2017; 186: 105-9)
Methods: We performed a case-control study using billing records from the US military health system database
Results (from abstract):
A total of 1331 children with CA-CDI were identified and 3993 controls were matched successfully. Recent exposure to fluoroquinolones, clindamycin (OR 73.00; 95% CI 13.85-384.68), third-generation cephalosporins (OR 16.32; 95% CI 9.11-29.26), proton pump inhibitors (OR 8.17; 95% CI 2.35-28.38), and to multiple classes of antibiotics, each was associated strongly the subsequent diagnosis of CA-CDI. Recent exposure to outpatient healthcare clinics (OR 1.35; 95% CI 1.31-1.39) or to a family member with CDI also was associated with CA-CDI.
Table 2 lists other medications and their risks; for example, corticosteroids had adjusted OR of 1.22 and H2-receptor antagonists had adjusted OR of 3.33. The OR of fluoroquinolone could not be calculated as 51 cases were exposed compared with 0 controls
In their discussion, the authors note the following:
Our study supports the occurrence of CDI among a population of children who were never hospitalized previously and provides a broad characterization of the medication and epidemiologic exposures associated with pediatric CA-CDI cases. Recent exposure to fluoroquinolones, clindamycin, third-generation cephalosporins, and to multiple classes of antibiotics was associated strongly with the subsequent diagnosis of CA-CDI in children; however, a sizeable minority had no preceding antibiotic exposure.
My take: This large study shows that CDI is more frequent after antibiotic usage and after usage of acid suppression (particularly with proton pump inhibitor) therapy.
Related blog posts:
- 4 Points for C diff in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Overdiagnosis of C difficile with PCR Assays
- Clostridium difficile/Fecal Microbiota Transplantation Video …
- Clostridium difficile: Colonization vs. Symptomatic Infection …
- Clostridium difficile Epidemiology | gutsandgrowth
- Precise Identification of C difficile Transmission …
- Clostridium difficile in IBD | gutsandgrowth
- A C difficile two-fer | gutsandgrowth
- Keeping Up with Clostridium Difficile | gutsandgrowth
- How Common are Clostridium difficile infections …
- Predicting Severe Clostridium Difficile | gutsandgrowth
- Consensus Guidelines on FMT | gutsandgrowth