NC Chang et al. Clin Gastroentol Hepatol 2022; 20: 1701-1708. Open Access! A Gap in Care Leads to Progression of Fibrosis in Eosinophilic Esophagitis Patients
In this retrospective review with 701 patients, 95 (14%) had a gap in care (mean time without care, 4.8 ± 2.3 years). Key findings:
- Patients post-gap had higher endoscopic severity (2.4 vs 1.5; P < .001) and smaller esophageal diameters (11.0 vs 12.7 mm; P = .04).
- Strictures were more prevalent with longer gap time (P < .05 for trend). Each additional year of gap time increased odds of stricture by 26%, even after accounting for pre-gap dilation. Additionally, of 67 patients without pre-gap fibrosis, 25 (37%) had at least one fibrotic feature (stricture, narrowing, or requiring dilation) post-gap.
DA Carlson et al. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2022; 20: 1719-1728. Esophageal Dysmotility Is Associated With Disease Severity in Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Consecutive adult patients with EoE (n=199) completed a 16-cm functional luminal imaging probe (FLIP) during endoscopy were evaluated in a cross-sectional study. Key findings:
- Mucosal eosinophil density was similar between abnormal contractile responses (CRs) and normal CRs (median 34 vs 25)
- Abnormal CRs more frequently had reduced esophageal distensibility (distensibility plateau <17 mm in 56% vs 32%), with more severe ring scores, and a greater duration of symptoms (median, 10 y vs 7 y)
Thus, abnormal esophageal CRs were related to EoE disease severity, especially features of fibrostenosis. This study suggests that esophageal wall remodeling, rather than eosinophilic inflammatory intensity, was associated with esophageal dysmotility in EoE.
My take: Despite my satirical title, I think these articles are helpful by documenting that ongoing EoE results in worsening esophageal dysfunction/dysmotility (especially if not treated). In addition, they provide insight into the natural history/pathophysiology of EoE.
Related blog posts:
- Long-Term Treatment of Eosinophilic Esophagitis with Budesonide
- Dupilumab: FDA Approval for Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Expecting Change in Eosinophilic Esophagitis Treatment | gutsandgrowth
- 4-14-4 Rule: More Biopsies Recommended for EoE
- Too Good To Be True: Two Lessons For Eosinophilic Esophagitis | gutsandgrowth
- 2020 Eosinophilic Guidelines (AGA)
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis -FAQs
- EoE Update 2018 (Dr. Seth Marcus)
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis -Up to Date Dietary Management Review
- Changing the Dietary Approach with Eosinophilic Esophagitis