JM Boster et al. Liver Transplantation 2022; 28: 483-492. Malnutrition in Biliary Atresia: Assessment, Management, and Outcomes Good review article. Malnutrition and sarcopenia negatively impact pretransplant, peritransplant, and posttransplant outcomes and survival in children with BA.
E Alexander et al. JPGN 2022; 74: 333-337. Clinical Implications for Children Developing Direct Hyperbilirubinemia on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Key findings: 36/106 (34%) children developed direct hyperbilirubinemia (DHB) on ECMO. Illness acuity scores were significantly higher in the DHB group on ECMO day 2 (P = 0.046) and day 7 (P = 0.01). Mortality rate was higher in the DHB group 72%, versus 29% in the control group (P < 0.001).
A Ostensen et al. J Pediatr 2022; 243: 135-141. Open Access: Impaired Neurocognitive Performance in Children after Liver Transplantation In this study with 65 participants, key findings:
- Compared with the patients who underwent transplantation a age >1 year (n = 35), those who did so at age <1 year (n = 30) had a lower FSIQ (87.1 ± 12.6 vs 96.6 ± 13.8; P = .005) and lower verbal comprehension index (87.3 ± 13.8 vs 95.4 ± 13.0; P = .020).
- Transfusion of >80 mL/kg (P = .004; adjusted for age at transplantation: P = .046) was also associated with detrimental effects on FSIQ.
- No difference in IQ between tests was found in those patients tested more than once, indicating no significant improvement with more time after transplantation (first testing was at median of 4.1 years after transplantation and the second testing was at a median age of 6.7 years after transplantation)
- “Our findings indicate that transplantation at early age has a pronounced effect on later neurocognitive impairment, and that this effect is separate from and more pronounced than the effect of cholestasis before transplantation.”
Related blog posts:
- Intellectual Disability in Pediatric Liver Transplantation
- What to Expect After Pediatric Liver Transplantation: Cognitive Function and Quality of Life
- IQ and Pediatric Chronic Liver Disease | gutsandgrowth
- Cognitve Outcomes after Liver Transplantation
- Outcomes of Liver Transplantation in Small Infants
- Alive and well? 10 years after liver transplantation