What Do Abnormal Liver Enzymes Mean in a Tween William Balistreri
Below I’ve included a few slides and some notes; my notes may have errors of omission or transcription.
- Provided updated normal reference data for ALT/AST along with patterns of abnormalities
- Reviewed step-wise workup for teenagers with elevated ALT/AST, particularly fatty liver disease and drug-induced liver disease
- Increasingly frequent cause of fatty liver disease: psychotropic medications
- Discussed role/indications of liver biopsy. Liver biopsy is NOT practical option for all children with fatty liver disease and elevated liver enzymes
- However, ALT values tend to underestimate severity of liver disease
Pingback: What is the likelihood of an alternative liver etiology in children with obesity/overweight? | gutsandgrowth