Briefly noted: MC Manresa et al. Gastroenterol 2020; 159: 1778-1792. Full text: Increased Production of LIGHT by T Cells in Eosinophilic Esophagitis Promotes Differentiation of Esophageal Fibroblasts Toward an Inflammatory Phenotype
The authors investigated the effects of tumor necrosis factor superfamily member 14 (TNFSF14, also called LIGHT) on fibroblasts in EoE.
- LIGHT was up-regulated in the esophageal tissues from patients with EoE, compared with control individuals
- Stimulation of esophageal fibroblasts with LIGHT induced inflammatory gene transcription
My take: The authors show that patients with EoE had proinflammatory fibroblasts in the epithelium. Further, they show that eosinophil-fibroblast interaction was dependent on intact LIGHT signaling.
Related blog posts:
- New 2020 Eosinophilic Esophagitis Guidelines | gutsandgrowth
- Phase 3 Budesonide Trial
- Head-to-Head: Budesonide vs Fluticasone for Eosinophilic Esophagitis | gutsandgrowth
- Grading Treatment Response in Eosinophilic Esophagitis | gutsandgrowth
- Orodispensable Budesonide Tablets for EoE
- What is EoE?
- EoE Update 2018 (Dr. Seth Marcus)